Wednesday, September 30, 2009

How the tides have changed...

My oh, my. No less than 3 months ago did I feel in over my head, the waves crashing down, shoving me under water with no air left to breathe. My knees scraped from the rough sandy shelf of shells and rocks and desbris as I am sucked in by the undertow of life. No control of the happenings around me, my body tumbling through the salty water, eyes burning, scared of the outcome with nothing to cling to. Then the fear disapates as you realize there is nothing you can do but let go, there is no use fighting it. The sea is unforgiving, but oh how we thank him when he spits us out onto shore. Beaten, hair slapped to my face, joints raw and bloody, I crawl up past the water's edge. Throwing an arm up to the sky and rolling on to my back, laid out like a starfish, I am defeated. Every breath exagerated by skeletal ribs, while the drops of saline dew on my skin shimmer in the sun. I open my eyes and look up to the sun and say, "I am still here." The kind sun warms me and dries me off, evaporating the heaviness of the water and making it easier to brush off the sand. I am reminded that all things that happen do end, and that I am stronger than I know, even amidst uncontrolable circumstances.

No comments: